Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Figure Painting - Nail Board

Thought I'd share my method for holding figures while painting.  I use a nail board, which is simply a block of wood with holes drilled in it to hold nails.  In my case, I'm using a piece of scrap 2 by 4.  I experimented with the hole diameter until I was happy the nails could easily slide in and out but couldn't lean from vertical very far.

Nail board holding 15 mm figures while in process
Another advantage of using a nail board... I'm able to group the figures that will be based together (in this case, on Flames of War bases).  While painting, if I see something I don't like grouped together, I simply move the nails around to find a more suitable mix of figures. 


I use nails that are 3 and 3/4 inches long.  This size fits my hands and painting style best, as I'm able to rest the point of the nail in my palm (gently, of course) and then my brush is at the perfect height for painting the figure.  

The figures are held by a small ball of "Blue Stik."  This is reusable many times, even after primer and paint has gotten on it.  In the photo below, you can see the clump of Blue Stik between the nail head and figure.



1 comment: