Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sd Kfz 222 Paint Chips and Mud WIP

This is becoming one of my favorite vehicles.  I've added paint chipping and the first of the weathering.  In particular, my weathering focus so far has been on mud and rain streaked dirt.  The rain streaks are most evident on the canvas tire cover.

Paint chips were applied using a small, torn sponge with Vallejo 995 German Grey.  (I'll try to get some better photos of the paint chips, as they don't show up well to the camera.)

Mud is a combination of Citadel's Agrax Earthshade and Stirland Mud.

Enjoy the photo updates.

Warlord Bold Action Sd Kfz 222 in progress

Rain streaking and mud on tire cover.
The tire cover is painted with Vallejo 821 German Camo Beige.  Next, I added a thin layer of Citadel Agrax Earthshade shade.  To create the streaking, I waited until the shade began to thicken as it dried, then pulled the thickening shade vertically toward the bottom of the model with a brush.  This effect requires the right timing for the consistency of the shade color.  I recommend experimenting on some scrap pieces.

Once the shade dried completely, I added some thick mud along the bottom of the wheel cover using Citadel's Stirland Mud.

More mud and paint chips






Gloss coating followed by decals and Mig pigments is next.

1 comment: